Chigwell Medical Centre is located on 300 Fencepiece Road, currently has over 8500 registered patients and caters for 3 Care/Residential Homes in the nearby area.
The practice has 2 Partners, Dr Akhtar and Dr Jiwani. We work with 1 practice nurse: Mrs Bibi (immunisation, diabetes, contraceptive services, general nursing) and one Health Care Assistant, Dhara. We have full complement of administrative staff.
- Our increasing practice list consists of patients sharing cross boundary between Redbridge and West Essex.
- The building has been used as a GP Surgery for approximately 40 years; we are well equipped with spacious accommodation covering two floors.
- Community Matron, District Nurses, Health Visitor, Community Midwife, Social Prescriber and Dietitian complete the Primary Health Care team.
- We are fortunate in the ability and commitment of our staff and they are to be congratulated for the way they have responded to the challenges presented to them by the introduction of new GMS and the Quality & Outcomes framework.
- We have active Patient Participation Group which is meeting quarterly.
Important Patient Notices
- GDPR – Data Protection Regulations
- General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) comes into force and is applicable in UK from 25/5/18.
- For Information on the Practice Patient Privacy Policies, please go to our Information page and click on GDPR Privacy Notices 1,2,3 and 4.
Find out more about:
- Opening Times
- Repeat Prescriptions
- Test Results
- Sick Notes
- Comments & Complaints
- How to Register as a New Patient
- Making Appointments
- Accidents & Emergencies, Out of Hours
- Telephone Consultations
- Practice Policies
Our Clinical Team
Our clinical team are multidisciplinary – this means we have a range of highly skilled and qualified clinicians working together with our GPs to deliver high quality support for you, our patients and carers.
When you have a face-to-face or telephone appointment, this may be with one of these clinicians. If you have an urgent problem that needs to be seen on the same day, we will aim to offer you a same-day appointment with an appropriate clinician, please be prepared to advise our admin team about your issue to help us in helping you, thank you.
In addition to general GP and Practice nurse surgeries, our surgery offers the following routine clinics:
- Antenatal Care
- Childhood Immunisations
This is provided by our Practice Nurse on Tuesday mornings.
- Chlamydia Screening
This service can also be accessed by requesting a test kit from our Reception team. Only for patients aged 15-24.
- Cervical Smears
This is provided by our Practice Nurse.
- Family Planning
- Health Checks
Health Checks are carried out on all patients aged between 40-74 who are not currently on a chronic disease register.
- Influenza Vaccinations
Given to all patients 65 and over or to those who require the vaccine due to being on specific disease register(s).
- IUCD and Implanon fittings
These services are provided by Dr Akhtar and Nurse Bibi
- Leg Ulcer Clinic
This is provided by our Practice Nurse.
- Minor Surgery and Joint Injection
- Travel Clinic including Yellow Fever
You are not required to be registered at our surgery for Yellow Fever vaccinations.
Chigwell Medical Centre does offer home visit service for housebound patients only. Please contact us if you require this service.
Information sharing with other services
We may need to share your medical information with other organisations involved in the delivery of your care e.g. Podiatry or District Nursing. We will not share identifiable information with anyone that isn’t involved in your care unless legally required to.
You would have been asked to opt in or out when you registered at one of our GP surgeries as follows: “Are you happy for us to Share Out your full medical records electronically with other services involved in your care and/or to view (Share In) medical records held by other services?”
If you wish to reconsider or do not consider that you have opted in or out, you may contact our practice reception to discuss further and appropriate action will be taken.
Find out more about Your Information and Data Processing.
Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. They make sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care and we encourage care services to improve.
CQC monitors, inspects and regulates services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety and publish what they find to help people choose care.
- Chigwell Medical Centre was rated “Good” by CQC – find out more about the award.
Forms and Letters
Private Health Insurance Claim forms, Insurance certificates for continued sickness, Travel Insurance Claim forms, Fitness to travel, Community Care application, etc
Please ask for advice from reception if you have a form that you think the doctor needs to fill in. You may be asked to leave it at reception and collect it at a later date. A charge will be made for forms that are not covered by the NHS (view our fees). Please do not ask a doctor to fill in a form or write a letter during surgery as this causes delays for other patients.
Letters regarding housing will not be written except at the formal request of the housing department or housing association. The doctors DO NOT sign passport forms or driving licence applications.
IMPORTANT: read our guidance on Letters and Reports before you book an appointment.
All of our practice staff are aware of the importance of confidentiality. We train staff on all aspects of confidentiality with respect to both manual and electronic health records. We keep all your health information confidential and secure in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, and have a legal responsibility to keep confidential all of the information held about you.
We respect your right to privacy. You have a right to access your medical records in accordance with the Access to Records Act 1990. Any request for a report or copies of notes requires a signed patient consent form and will incur a charge. Further information is available from reception.
Freedom of Information
As a public body, we are registered to the ICO. If you would like any additional information on accessing such information, please feel free to contact the Practice Manager. Or find on the Freedom of Information website.
If you would like a chaperone when you see the doctor or nurse, please feel free to bring someone with you, or ask at reception when making your appointment. If you attend an urgent appointment you will be asked to see whichever doctor is available.
If you require an interpreter either call or come into the surgery and we will be happy to arrange the service. The service covers a large range of languages, but you must inform us at least three days before your appointment.
Zero Tolerance Policy
We aim to treat our patients courteously at all times and expect our patients to treat our staff in a similarly respectful way. We take seriously any threatening, abusive or violent behaviour against any of our staff or patients. If a patient is violent or abusive, they will be warned to stop their behaviour. If they persist, we may exercise our right to take action to have them removed, immediately if necessary, from our list of patients.
Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)
For free confidential advice or information on health services in Chigwell Medical Centre call 0203 376 6670 or email: email@example.com
How You Can Help Us
- Be on time for your appointment.
- Let us know early if you need to cancel your appointment so we can offer the appointment to someone else.
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
Providing a full range of acute services, including 24-hour accident and emergency, elderly, paediatric, cancer, heart, surgical and emergency medicine as well as comprehensive diagnostic and outpatient services.
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
Telephone: 020 8887 2000
If you have a serious injury or illness that needs emergency treatment, go to your local Emergency Department or call 999.
Specialist Clinics and Services
We provide a range of services including:-
Clinics for Asthma, Diabetes, Hypertension, Cervical Screening, Childhood Immunizations, Maternity Services (Antenatal Care, Post Natal Care, Baby Checks, etc), Family Planning Services, Travel Advice and Immunizations, Adult immunizations, Stopping Smoking Clinic.
Named Accountable GP
We have allocated a Named Accountable GP for all of our registered patients. New patients joining us will be advised of their Accountable GP at the point of registration. If you do not know who your named GP is, please ask a member of our reception team.
What is a ‘Named Accountable GPs’ role?
A named accountable GP takes responsibility for the coordination and delivery of all appropriate patient services required (based on the clinical judgement of the named accountable GP). Additionally, if a third party requests your GPs information, this is the GP name that you would give.
Does the requirement mean 24 hour responsibility for patients?
No. The named GP will not:
- Be indirectly responsibility for the work of other doctors or health professionals.
- Have 24 hour responsibility for the patient or have to change their working hours. The requirement does not imply personal availability for GPs throughout the working week.
- Be the only GP or clinician who will provide care to that patient.
Do patients have to see the named GP when they book an appointment with the practice?
- No. Patients can and should feel free to choose to see any GP or nurse in the practice in line with current arrangements. However, some patients may prefer to see their named GP for continuity of care.
What does this mean for patients with complex healthcare needs?
- If you require a care plan, your named GP would be responsible for ensuring this is created with you and reviewed appropriately.
Can patients continue to see their preferred GP if different to their named GP?
- Yes, this does not have to change. Please continue to make appointments with your preferred GP.
Can patients change their named GP?
- Having a named GP different to your preferred GP will not restrict your care in any way. However, if you would like to request that your named GP be changed please put this in writing addressed to the Practice Manager.
Please speak to a member of our staff if you require further information.